Monday, December 9, 2013

Kudo's To You?

I was reading "The Women of Christmas" by Liz Curtis Higgs (wonderful, inspiring author) today. In it she asked the reader to look up Proverbs 31:10-31 and choose verses that best describe how a godly woman (in biblical times) lived out her faith in the day-to-day, every day living. Quite a few verses made me think of women like my mom or women like my two great grandmothers that my dad is always telling me about.

"She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household and plan the day's work for servant girls." Proverbs 31: 13

I'm always listening about how my two great grandmothers were in the kitchen, cooking meals for their family, making sure no one went without food. But it was always a labor of love and one of many ways they honored their Lord and savior.

The verse that stood out to me the most though was the very last two.

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised." -- Proverbs 31:30 

I was just talking about that verse (though I couldn't remember it at the time) with my sister; talking about how charm can be deceiving. It's like putting on a cloak to either hide truths or deceive and distract others with vibrant colors. Like the good Lord says "Beauty doesn't last." So once its faded what do we want to be left standing with? I want to be left standing with the Lord our God.

I am supposed to serve and praise Him. Living my life honoring Him even in my day-to-day activities. If I go looking for people to praise my work and expect, demand, to be given a "job well done" as if it’s owed me then am I really seeking to give Him glory and honor? I don't want to be self-servant; it will never satisfy or curb the hunger deep in my soul. We all want to be told we've done a good job, kudos for our hard work.  But God says:

"Reward her for all she has done. Let her deeds publicly declare her praise." Proverbs 31:31

That is what struck my heart most. "Let her deeds" -- her actions, her performances, her attitude and her works, her life and faith -- "publicly declare her praise." Not a word from her/my own lips, but by our good deeds does God say “well done.” That really speaks to me. We don’t need thanks from other people to fill our cup. We can find it by giving him the thanks we think we deserve. He’s the one who deserves it. And get this too. “He will reward us; we don't have to go searching for it.” God wants our actions to speak for us and then He will commend us "a job well done." We may not get it when we want it or think we should get it. But maybe that's the whole point: to stop expecting like we're owed something so we can appreciate the good things God gives us for doing good work in his name. Never taking the credit for it.

I want to be that kind of woman and have that kind of devotion. Cause no one else compares to Him and his approval of me.



No comments:

Post a Comment