Friday, July 25, 2014

Blink of an Eye by Ted Dekker

Cover Description


The future changes in the blink of an eye . . . or does it?


Miriam is a Saudi princess promised to another, a pawn in a political struggle that could shift the balance of power in the Middle East.


Seth is a certified genius with a head full of numbers, a life full of baggage, and an attitude born on the waves of the Pacific.


Cultures collide when they find themselves thrown together as fugitives in a high-stakes chase across Southern California. A growing attraction and a search for answers fuel their fight to survive . . . but with no sleep and a massive manhunt steadily closing in, their chances of surviving any future are razor thin.


My Review

I've had this book for a year and have been waiting for just the right time to read it. I have to say I am so glad I did! This books main focal point is about love and how it changes things; how it changes everything. That's not all I took away from this book though. About halfway or so through the book, Seth theorizes how God can't exist because of these visions he's having. So he sets out to prove to Miriam, who believes there is a God, by praying and asking God to change something in the immediate future. At first it seemed it hadn't worked, but less than minute into his boasting he had yet another vision that altered his course and shook him. 

What interested me and had me thinking was: I've had dreams before that have later come true. Sometimes not for months later sometimes only moments. I don't remember the dreams most of the time until they begin to come true and I get this deja vu affect. Now I'm not claiming I see the future or anything of the sort, but it made me wonder why God gives us those kinds of dreams. 

This one time when I was in the hospital I had a terrible nightmare, it was so real. When I woke up I remembered every detail of it. These two nurses came in to draw my blood and change my IV's but this one new nurse messed up and hit a vein and I began bleeding to death. It scared me and so I prayed to God that it wouldn't happen. Two days later the very nurse who I had yet to meet came into my room. It shook me up a little bit, I told my mom I had seen this woman in my dreams before. I also prayed to God again to not let anything go wrong while this woman was caring for me. Sure enough, that same day the woman came in to change my IV's and called in the other woman and there they both stood, just as they had in my dream. Even talking about some of the exact same things. I was concerned when they were having trouble with whatever they were doing, but I prayed the entire time and I even asked my mom to pray before they came in there and the Lord answered and changed that part of my dream from becoming a reality. 

So why did God send me that dream? Was it to turn to Him and ask for help? Did he send an angel down to show me so I could ask for his protection? God knows everything, but he also gave us free will and we choose whether to believe in Him, to trust Him, and to come to Him in our times of trouble too. Had I not prayed for God's protection I believe that dream would've been my reality. 

That's what I gained from this book. 

It's God's love for us that he does all these things: protects, shelters, warns us of pending danger. The reason I say pending is because anything can change in just a blink of an eye when we bring God into our lives and turn to him for everything in ours. 

 I give this book 4.5 out of 5! The reason it's not a full 5 is because I really felt Christianity wasn't pointed out clearly. Miriam wasn't a Christian but she believed in a God of love; Seth didn't believe in either but he knew the differences between them but didn't really speak beyond that. It could be slightly confusing, in my opinion. Otherwise, loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment