Sunday, May 25, 2014

Fiddler On The Roof

CBD.com
I had never heard of "Fiddler on the Roof" till a friend of mine on the west coast highly suggested I watch it. So, for a while I put it off cause it was a 3 hour movie and I wanted to be able to watch it without a bunch of interruptions. One Wednesday afternoon when I had nothing else to do and it was quiet in the house, I turned it on and from the moment it began I fell in love the fiddler on the roof!

Movie Review

This is Norman Jewison's adaptation of the long-running Broadway musical set in the Ukranian ghetto village of Anatevka. The poor milkman, Tevye, is tested by poverty, the romantic entanglements of his five daughters, and prejudicial attitudes of non-Jews.
Throughout the movie Tevye talks too God during his many trials. 

One of my favorite songs in the beginning is "If I were a rich man". I've been dancing, humming, and singing "Yubby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum" for two weeks straight! Its catchy, how can it not get stuck in your head? Try singing it...it's stuck in your head now, isn't it? Hahaha! I told you. Chaim Topol, I can't see anyone else ever doing a better job than him (no offence to other actors, I'm sure you're great!), he's just classic! His voice has this rustic fatherly charm to it as well that I can't get enough of--no that is not weird! Right?

Music isn't the only good thing about this movie (there's a lot, but we'll get to all those in a moment) the first scene that made me really want to just get up and dance along was during "To Life". There was so much light and happiness, you couldn't help but want to join in. And when the Tevye and the non-Jews danced together, it just made you want to leap! It felt like having communion (they were drinking though, weren't they? haha!) with someone you thought hated each the other coming together under an umbrella of joy. Who wouldn't be glad that someone's daughter is getting married? Even the poor Tailor, once he stood up for Tzeitel's hand in marriage, couldn't contain his joy in "Miracle of Miracles". It made me feel like I was jumping on clouds in springtime!

Lastly, my favorite part was the wedding dances! Come on, how can you not? I won't spoil it for those of you who haven't had the pleasure of seeing it, but to those who have I about jumped out of the chair and started kicking my heels and clapping along!

There's biblical lessons and eye openers and things to make you think about as well. This movie made me think a lot about my own dad. Tevye reminds me so much, to include having to deal with a house full of women! Haha. But like Tevye, he always turns and talks to God. What did you take away from this movie?

I give this movie a 5 out of 5 Stars! If you'd like to see it you can find it on Amazon.com and if you already have Prime you can currently watch it free thanks to your membership! Or you can purchase it on Instant Stream or DVD. You can click on the movie picture for a direct link to the movie on Christianbooks.com I highly recommend making this movie a part of your household collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment