Sunday, October 26, 2014

Putting on the real Armor of God and not the Costume

I've been faced recently with things I thought I knew, but instead I have discovered I was ignorant and maybe even comfortable not knowing. A friend of mine and I have been talking about demons and evil spirits this week. I have alway believed they were not real. That after Jesus died on the cross, that, they somehow vanished completely after that. But as I was talking and thinking, something wasn't settling with me and I felt the Holy Spirit pull me to seek out the truth. I needed to know the truth so I could fight. Whether it was finding out they were not real or were in fact real, I needed to know how to fight whatever lies the Devil was trying to throw at me and my friend.
"so that Satan will not outsmart us. For we are familiar with his evil schemes." 
~2 Corinthians 2:11 (NLT)
Growing up, I always thought demons were just an evil thing that people used to scare others and push them away from Jesus. I thought I knew what I was talking about when I said there were no such things has demons and evil spirits. But I was mistaken. Watching a sermon from Pastor John Hagee's early series, I found I was doing the same as many christians had done in the past. They claimed Satan wasn't real; I was claiming demons and evil spirits weren't real. But just because you say it, it doesn't make it any less real. I'm still learning. Learning what it all means, learning how it plays a roll in my life, learning what I'm to do with this revelation. I'm waiting patiently and listening for our Lord to teach me what he wants to teach.

Now, I don't want the focus to be on just that demons exist because there is obviously much more to that story. I'm not about to start hunting demons to cast out, I'm not about to blame demons for my, or anyone else's, problems, because that's just not so, but if I do happen upon one in my lifetime I want to be fully prepared. Jesus is just as real and he has ALL power and authority over any and all evil! Christ's death, his sacrifice, on the cross and the blood that he ransomed assured us victory over death for those who believe and accept Jesus Christ! And by Jesus Christ I am saved!

Why don't you follow me to the kitchen for a moment. I have something else on my mind and it's quite hilarious how these two coincide and came together in the same day!


Just this morning I read about Kirk Cameron urging Christian to celebrate Halloween. I have always loved Kirk Cameron since the old days of Growing Pains and Left Behind! I practically grew up with this guy. But I was sort of taken aback by what he said. Do I think his heart was in the right place? Absolutely. We should definitely be spreading the word of the gospel, especially on a day where so many celebrate death and evil. Do I think he's mistaken? I think so. I felt he missed the target on this dartboard. Though he was or is accurately stating that All Hallows Eve was attributed to a day to remember the dead by Catholics and some Christians. Like remembering a husbands or child's birthday, even though their time on earth has passed, and coming to put flowers on their graves. But that's not all true, that's not how it all started. Without going into a long history lesson, it is as I learned growing up. A day where people of unholy beliefs believed the spirit of the dead came back to earth and they'd sacrifice livestock and other living things. It's been about worshipping Satan and evil spirits. Not to say that at some time in history christians took the reins and did things their own way. That's not the point I was going to make though. Something struck a very wrong cord in me when I read this article on Kirk Cameron.

"When you go out on Halloween and see all people dressed in costumes and see someone in a great big bobble head Obama costume with great big ears and an Obama face, are they honoring him or poking fun?" Cameron asked.
"They are poking fun at him," the actor said, answering his own question before comparing the concept of costumes to early Christianity." ~ChristianToday.com

Something I learned growing up, not from my parents, not from any religious leader, but from God's word. Don't mock demons and don't mock Satan.

I think Kirk Cameron is wrong in what he said. We shouldn't be poking fun. We shouldn't mock Satan. We shouldn't mock demons. Not because anyone thinks any of these things as more powerful than Jesus, that's a complete lie, but because we are called to act like Jesus.
"But even Michael, one of the mightiest angels, did not dare accuse Satan of blasphemy but simply said, "The Lord rebuke you." ~Jude 1:9
First, look at the meaning of the word Rebuke. It means to express sharp disapproval and criticism. To correct. Second, Michael says "The Lord rebuke you." Not "I", not "Michael", not "John". It is the Lords place to rebuke, to correct, Satan. We have the power to call on His name to come correct Satan. We are not to pick a fights with him, we are not to revile him like we're some bully on the playground.
What does revile mean? It means to criticize in an abusive or insulting manner; to verbally abuse.
Think of how we argue with people here and now. Think how we begin to judge others and insult them because we feel we are better than they are and know more than they do. We stoop to the Devil's level (no rhyming intended, but it was funny. You laughed, I know you did!) when we begin to think we are mightier than others. We become fools when we allow ourselves to grow haughty, strutting our tail feathers.
"A group of Jews was traveling from town to town casting out evil spirits. They tried to use the name of the Lord Jesus in their incantation, saying, “I command you in the name of Jesus, whom Paul preaches, to come out!” 14 Seven sons of Sceva, a leading priest, were doing this. 15 But one time when they tried it, the evil spirit replied, “I know Jesus, and I know Paul, but who are you?” 16 Then the man with the evil spirit leaped on them, overpowered them, and attacked them with such violence that they fled from the house, naked and battered." ~Acts 19:13-16 (NLT)
When Jesus cast out demons, he indeed publicly humiliate them by casting them out but only by showing he had that authority. He didn't turn to the crowds pumping his fists in the air saying, "Look at them, so weak and puny. They could not even stay in that person's body. Take that demons! Take that Devil!" He didn't rub it in their faces how they were defeated or taunted their defeated.
Think how today, it's not good sportsmanship to rub in your opponents face when you make a good play or score. You can even be panelized for going to far with any kind of taunting, insulting, behavior against apposing sides.

We know what team we're on, right? Jesus, the one son of God. The one who defeated death and called us to follow him. If you're not, then you need to hurry on over red rover, red rover, send [insert whosever's name] right over! Because nothing can break the bond we have with Jesus!

"Early on, Christians would dress up in costumes as the devil, ghosts, goblins and witches precisely to make the point that those things were defeated and overthrown by the resurrected Jesus Christ," Cameron continued. "The costumes poke fun at the fact that the devil and other evils were publicly humiliated by Christ at His resurrection. That's what the Scriptures say, that He publicly humiliated the devil when He triumphed over power and principality and put them under his feet. Over time you get some pagans who want to go 'this is our day', high holy day of Satanic church, that this is all about death, but Christians have always known since the first century that death was defeated, that the grave was overwhelmed, that ghosts, goblins, devils are foolish has-beens who used to be in power but not anymore. That's the perspective Christians should have." 
~ChristianToday.com
Just because Christians did something in the past, doesn't mean they too weren't mistaken.
Jesus only humiliated Satan, death, demons and evil spirits, through his almighty power, not by flaunting it. Why do we have to dress up in jest as the very things Christ died to defeat to make a point that they were defeated? We're giving more time and attention to Satan rather than praising God for his defeat. Let's rejoice in that fact we don't, as Christians, have to worry about death anymore! We who believe in His son of everlasting peace and life and have put our lives in his hands is worthy of praise! Praise Jesus! Let's spread the word of the gospel without dressing up as the wolf in sheep's clothing. If we really want to take back the Lords day, because all days belong to Him, than let's do things Jesus's way and lets put on our armor!

The Whole Armor of God 

10 A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. 12 For we[a] are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.
13 Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. 14 Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. 15 For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared.[b] 16 In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil.[c] 17 Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
18 Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere."

If you're interested in that sermon I listened to by John Hagee, just watch the video below from TBN.com and also checkout more of his videos on GETV.org, like Satan: Master of Deception. I found this one is very enlightening!

God bless you all! Have a wonderful autumn, Jesus Christ-filled Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment