Friday, October 17, 2014

I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris

Book Description

Tired of the game? Kiss dating goodbye.

Going out? Been dumped? Waiting for a call that doesn't come? Have you tasted pain in dating, drifted through one romance or, possibly, several of them?

Ever wonder, Isn't there a better way?

I Kissed Dating Goodbye shows what it means to entrust your love life to God. Joshua Harris shares his story of giving up dating and discovering that God has something even better-- a life of sincere love, true purity, and purposeful singleness.

My Review

Timeless is the only way I can describe Joshua Harris's books.

Almost 18 years ago, Joshua Harris decided to write a radical book on dating or saying goodbye to it. Now I know what some of you might be thinking "giving up dating? How am I supposed to find the love of my life?"
Here's the thing, he's not saying goodbye to the love of your life, he's saying "find the love of your life God's way, not the worlds way"! This book is not filled with rules and regulations on what to do and not do but rather opens our eyes to the way the world is dating.

"The world takes us to the silver screen on which flickering images of passion and romance play, and as we watch, the world says, "this is love." God takes us to the foot of a tree on which a naked and bloodied man hangs and says, "This is love." 
~ Joshua Harris. 

 I kissed dating is about God and how we can honor Him and love the people he has graced us in our walk on this earth. Worldly dating is selfish and hurtful. Not just for you, but the people you are involved with too. How are we to show the love of Christ to others if we're in such a hurry to take the very hearts intended for God and unwrapping them like they were just a simple candy wrapper for this amazing piece of chocolate? If we're not committed to eating the chocolate then why are we unwrapping it before it's time?
Joshua Harris covers just about everything, even questions I hadn't quite reached yet he answered. Like, "how should I get to know someone if I'm not dating?" And he goes beyond that. Treat all people of the opposite sex as brothers and sisters first and foremost and then if you are interested in someone, pray about he/him and see where God leads you.
He even asks you questions like "where are you in life? Are you ready to be in a committed relationship? Are you ready for marriage?" He even covers commitment and recreational dating and staying pure in the relationships we do/will have.

"Just because something feels good doesn't mean we should pursue it now. We have to remember that the right thing at the wrong time is the wrong thing." 
~Joshua Harris 
What I loved about it all was I didn't feel pressured to follow, rather I was inspired to follow and honor God! It made me realize how much I want a relationship that will glorify and make him happy. I almost forgot I was reading a book on dating, which is a good thing. So many people focus on  one aspect in a book that you don't learn what really matters and why it's important. Joshua Harris widened my spectrum to God's love and what I can do to love him back, as well as love and cherish that special someone I have yet to meet and take as my own.
"I encourage you to write a love story with your life that you'll feel proud to tell." 
~Joshua Harris
I am encouraged.

Checkout his second book I reviewed Boy Meets Girl. Saying hello to courthship. You will love it. A beautiful continuation, yet stand alone book, to this wonderful book. You won't be able to put either of them down!

No comments:

Post a Comment